UN Commission on Social Development (CSocD)
UN Family Rights Caucus members lobbied successfully for the inclusion in the outcome document of the following para:
“Recognizing that the promotion of social and economic development remains the sovereign right and responsibility of each Member State, consistent with national laws and development priorities, with full respect for the various religious and ethnic values and cultural backgrounds of its people, and in conformity with all human rights and fundamental freedoms.”
UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
- The Family Rights Caucus held an official organizational meeting bringing together pro-family delegations and NGOs at CSW to strategize together on how to impact the CSW outcome document to protect the family.
- UN Family Rights Caucus members provided logistical support advertising and handing out flyers for a major UN panel/event sponsored by the countries of Nigeria, Iran, Qatar, Syria, and Saint Lucia on “The Critical Role of Mothers in Society” held on International Women’s Day.
At this event UN Family Rights Caucus Chair and President of Family Watch International Sharon Slater gave a speech on motherhood outlining how in some cases the feminist movement has gone too far and is now undermining the critical role of mothers in society. Click here to view her seven-minute speech.
Other presentations were delivered by:
- The ambassador of Syria - opening remarks and introduction of the speakers.
- Presentation by Christine Vollmer, President of the Latin American Alliance for the Family.
- Presentation by Sarah Flood-Beaubrun, the UN permanent representative of Saint Lucia.
- Presentation by Theresa Okafor, Director of the Foundation for African Cultural Heritage, and the Chair of the African Regional World Congress of Families held in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Statement by Dr. Alveda King, niece of the late Dr. Martin Luther King.